Thursday, December 6, 2012

Duct Tape Wallet


*Every week at the radio station, I have been sharing DIY Christmas gifts that can be made on the cheap.  I had been struggling for a good guy's gift.  I've read about duct tape wallets, but I have never tried it.  I decided to dive in.  Of course I went dull old silver for this first try, but once I get a little more practice in, I may try to get color crazy.  :)

CRAFTY GIFT - For Guys!
It took me FOREVER to figure out a decent guy crafty gift.  I have a few planned now, but we'll start with a duct tape wallet.  :) 


 I have never made one of these before so truly anyone, yes anyone can do it.  Here's what you need:




Roll of duct tape.  I used Duck brand.
Scissors
Ruler
Clean surface that the tape wont get stuck to.  I used a wooden TV tray.

Explaining this can be a bit difficult.  I am going to do my best but also include a link to the WikiHow page I found in order to make my wallet.

1 - Pull off a strip of tape about 8 inches long and lay it face up.

2 - Pull another strip off and place it face down along the strip covering roughly half of the strip.

3 - Fold the sticky part of the bottom strip over the top and flip the strip over.

4 - Add another strip face down covering the sticky half of the bottom strip and repeat process several times. 


5 - When you have a large enough rectangle fold remaining sticky tape over the shiny side and fold lengthwise.  At this point you can determine your wallet size.  If it is too large you can cut it down and refold until it looks good.  The tutorial says to not go beyond 6 inches by 8 inches.  Tape the ends together to make a pocket.


6 - Make another rectangle by following the steps 1 to 4.  Go about half the size as your last one.  Cut this in half to make two squares.  Tape these squares into the inside of the wallet and secure by taping to the inside pocket and outsides of the wallet while leaving open pockets facing the inside fold of the wallet.


7 - Make credit card holders by following steps 1 to 4.  This time make a long strip.  Cut this strip in half and use it to make credit card holders by staggering inside the wallet and taping the sides and bottom areas.  Use a credit card or driver's license as a guide so you make sure it fits right.

8 - TADA!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I've never heard of a duct tape wallet but that is pretty impressive. That would also be a great gift for kids to make for a dad, uncle or older brother.

    Thanks for stopping by Snack Cups and Smiles. I'm following via GFC too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. Duct tape can do anything!
    New follower from Harvest of Friends hop. So glad to have found you.
    Hope you will hop over and follow back. We also have a Christmas give away going on. Come check it out.

    http://heymommychocolatemilk.blogspot.com/2012/12/moms-library-8-for-me-and-give-away.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow, I love this idea! I think I'll try it out! I am popping over here from the Friends Harvest Weekend Blog Hop (I know I have that title wrong!!) LOL.

    Happy to discover you....

    If you would like to see my post for the hop...

    ReplyDelete